Tick Talk: Effective Prevention And Control Strategies For Your Kansas City Property
October 15, 2023
Ticks are one of the ever-present pests in the Kansas City area. Ticks are extremely tough, durable insects that can thrive in almost any environment, and they use the benefits of urban environments to thrive. Tick bites are irritating in and of themselves and can itch for an extended period. Beyond that, however, tick bites can also pose an ongoing risk to your health. A tick is small but can cause big problems.
Augustine Exterminators know all about ticks and the problems they can cause. Call us today if you’re struggling with getting rid of ticks on your Kansas City property. We can help.
The Life Cycle Of Ticks: A Comprehensive Overview
Ticks have four distinct life stages:
- Egg: Ticks lay their eggs in the summer, which then hatch into larvae.
- Larvae: Tick larvae are small and hard to detect. They need blood to continue maturing.
- Nymph: Tick nymphs are still small and are the last stage before adulthood.
- Adult: Once ticks reach adulthood, they are ready to continue the reproductive cycle.
Ticks in Kansas City consume blood almost from the moment they hatch, and infestations can expose you to biting ticks of all sizes. Augustine Exterminators is the best tick control company in Kansas City. We know how to find ticks and what to do once we do. If you are having problems with ticks or are afraid that you may have an infestation, call us today.
Top Tick-Borne Diseases: Symptoms, Treatment, And Prevention
Ticks need blood to reproduce and are always on the hunt for it. When feeding, they inject saliva into the bite area to keep the blood from thickening. Their saliva has a mild blood thinner that can keep the blood flowing as they feed. Unfortunately, if a tick feeds on a host infected with Lyme disease, erlichiosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and tularemia, it can infect every subsequent host it feeds on. Here are some of the diseases and symptoms:
- Lyme disease: Causes headache, fever, and fatigue.
- Ehrlichiosis: Causes headache, fever, chills, muscle aches, and, at times, stomach upset.
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever: Causes fever, headache, and rash.
- Tularemia: This can ultimately potentially be life-threatening.
A qualified physician should conduct treatment for all of these conditions.
Prevention techniques include wearing protective clothing, avoiding areas of high tick infestation, wearing insect repellant, and performing careful skin checks when you return from outdoors. Finally, call us at Augustine Exterminators. Our professionals know how to get rid of ticks, and we can get rid of yours.
Tick Prevention: Remedy Factors That Attract Ticks To Your Property
Given that ticks in Kansas City can be so problematic on your property, here are some suggestions to help decrease the chances that you will encounter ticks on your property:
- Seal garbage: Exposed garbage can draw rodents, which often carry ticks. Sealing garbage can help decrease rodents and their associated ticks.
- Remove trimmings: Leaf litter and yard clippings can be attractive to ticks. Eliminate all leaf litter and yard trimmings to decrease your chances of encountering ticks.
- Mow frequently: Mowing regularly is a great way to decrease ticks in your yard.
- Keep furniture clear: Avoid placing play equipment or outside furniture close to wooded areas to prevent drawing ticks onto them, only to climb onto you later.
These tips can help decrease your chances of encountering ticks on your property but can’t eliminate the possibility that they may still come to visit. If you see ticks, call our number and let Augustine Exterminators help you get rid of them.
Professional Tick Control Services: Stress-Free And Effective
A tick infestation in Kansas City can cause you endless worries. If you’re struggling with ticks, never fear. One call is all it takes for Augustine Exterminators to help you get professional home pest control in Kansas City. Call us today. You will be glad you did.